We are very proud to say that Branston Junior Academy is part of the Lincolnshire Children's University!
What is it?
The Children's Unviersity offers children aged 7 to 14 years, exciting and innovative learning activities outside normal school hours to “broaden children’s horizons – striving to encourage them to experience a wide range of different activities in their own time.”
To this end, the LCU believe that it is “essential that children fill their ‘Passport to Learning’ with a variety of activities and step out of their comfort zone, rather than simply taking part in the activities they know and love.”
How does it work?
- Buy a 'Children's University' passport (cost £5.00) from the school office.
- Look online with the help of your parent/carer at the Lincolnshire Children's University (LCU) website http://childrensuniversity.lincoln.ac.uk to find details of exciting activities to attend. Some of our after-school activities also qualify for LCU activities. (Street Dance, Art Club, Glee Club, Football, Choir, Orchestra & table tennis).
- 1 session is worth 1 stamp, regardless of whether this session lasts for half an hour, one hour, or more – this will be for any LCU activities at Branston Juniors as well as any activities held elsewhere, such as gymnastics etc.
- It is ok to achieve the very first award for 30 hours (Bronze) by just attending one club; but in order to achieve higher awards the child must have attended several different activities and clubs, so that a single club makes up no more than one third of the total number of stamps.
- Each year there is a special Graduation Ceremony at Lincoln University, where the children's acheivements are recognised (see below). At the ceremony you will get to wear a proper graduation gown and mortar board!
30 Stamps - Bronze Award
65 Stamps - Silver Award
100 Stamps - Gold Award
- If you go away on holiday, you can take along your Children's University Passport too! Before you go away have a look online with your parent/carer's help at the Children's University Website http://childrensuniversity.lincoln.ac.uk . Using the 'maps' section you can search for fun and exciting activities to take part in whilst your away.
The Passports are all about enjoyment and creating a sense of achievement for all. Membership to the Children's University provides each child with access to a great range of quality assurance learning provisions.
Please ask the school office if you require any further information.